New York State Lieutenant Governor Brian Benjamin resigned from his office after being arrested on fraud and bribery charges.
WGRZ 2 On Your Side’s coverage on the story included an interview with attorney Barry N. Covert. Mr. Covert provided legal analysis that included: a review of the specific charges Brian Benjamin faces, the potential penalties if Benjamin is found guilty of the charges, and whether circumstances involved in the terms of Brian Benjamin’s bail in this case forced him to resign as New York State’s Lieutenant Governor.
WGRZ reports that federal prosecutors accused Brian Benjamin of being part of a campaign finance scheme. The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York outlined the case against Brian Benjamin, which stated that Benjamin accepted campaign contributions from a real estate developer in exchange for a state grant that was given to that business. In their report, WGRZ quoted Barry Covert as stating “The laws on raising campaign funds and identifying where the money comes from are very strict. But, it is not clear how strong the case of proof is against Benjamin.”
Continuing reading for excerpts of Barry Covert’s discussion with WGRZ anchors Scott Levin and Maryalice Demler. Click the videos below to watch WGRZ’s full report on this case, which includes Mr. Covert’s legal analysis.
New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced his resignation in response to an investigation into a series of sexual harassment accusations made against him.
In the WIVB interview, Barry Covert discusses:
- the timing of Governor Cuomo’s resignation;
- the impact the resignation may have on Governor Cuomo’s accusers;
- the criminal cases Governor Cuomo is still facing;
- the financial implications the charges and investigations have on taxpayers; and
- the potential for future investigations.
Legal Analysis of CBS Interview with Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Accuser and the Resignation of Melissa DeRosa
The New York State Assembly’s Judiciary Committee met behind closed doors today to discuss the recent sexual harassment report from Attorney General Letitia James and to review the next steps in the process of a potential impeachment of Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Following the Judiciary Committee’s meeting, New York Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie and Judiciary Committee Chair Charles Levine held a press conference to discuss the impeachment probe as well as the potential timeline to move forward with impeachment.
WIVB News 4’s coverage of the sexual harassment investigation into New York Governor Andrew Cuomo continued with anchor Jacquie Walker interviewing attorney Barry Covert. In their interview, Mr. Covert weighs in on:
- the timeline for the state legislature’s investigation into Gov. Andrew Cuomo;
- the impact of the CBS interview with “Executive Assistant #1”; and
- the potential impact of Melissa DeRosa’s resignation from the governor’s office.
- Accidents and Personal Injury
- Birth Injury Law
- Business and Corporate
- Business Formation
- Business Litigation
- Car Accidents
- Cemetery and Funeral Home Negligence
- Closely Held and Family Owned Businesses
- Construction Litigation
- Coronavirus COVID-19
- Criminal Defense Trials and Appeals
- Department of Labor Investigations & Negotations
- Diagnosis Error
- Emergency Room Error
- Employee Benefits
- Employment Litigation
- Estates, Wills, and Trusts
- First Amendment
- Franchise Law
- In The News
- Labor and Employment
- Matrimonial and Family Law
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- New York State Sexual Harassment Prevention
- Newsletters and Alerts
- Nurse Error
- Product Liability
- Professional Licensing Defense
- Real Estate
- Scientific Research and Misconduct
- Sexual Abuse Victims
- Tax Law
- Tourist Accidents
- Vaccine Injury Compensation
- Workers' Compensation
- Zoning and Land Use