Joseph Guza empowers his union clients through the utilization of legal, organizing, and collective bargaining strategies. Mr. Guza is passionately focused on serving his clients in all aspects of union-side labor law, including corporate campaigns, collective bargaining negotiations, organizing drives, arbitrations, agency hearings (NLRB, PERB, and others) and all related court proceedings.
Mr. Guza represents unions across the private, public and federal sectors, and regularly conducts steward training seminars, as well as seminars covering general labor law and labor law in the construction industry. Mr. Guza also counsels employee benefit fund trustees on collections and related matters.
In addition to his work with union clients, Mr. Guza works closely with members of the firm’s Personal Injury and Workers’ Compensation Departments to help serve injured workers. He also counsels individuals and unions regarding employment discrimination cases under Title VII and the NYS Human Rights Law, wage theft claims and related employment matters.
Before attending SUNY Buffalo Law School, Mr. Guza worked as a dockman for a large northeastern transportation company, an experience that kindled his passion for workers’ rights. In 2017, Mr. Guza was appointed to the AFL-CIO WNY Area Labor Federation’s Judicial Endorsement Review Panel.
Awards and Recognitions
||Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
Named to Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in 2021 and 2022 for Labor and Employment Law-Employee and Litigation-Labor and Employment. The Best Lawyers in America give this award as a recognition to attorneys who are earlier in their careers for outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the United States.
||Super Lawyers “Rising Stars”
Named to Upstate New York Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” from 2017 to 2021; no more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in any state earn this distinction
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of New York
- United States District Court, Western District of New York
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2012 (Labor & Employment Law Program, Civil Litigation Concentration)
- Boston College, M.A., 2004
- Nazareth College of Rochester, B.A., 2002
- “A Cure for Laryngitis: A First Amendment Challenge to the NLRA’s Ban on Secondary Picketing,” 59 Buff L. Rev. 1267 (2011)
- “Secondary Picketing & the First Amendment,” LERA of WNY Law Night, March 2013
- Member, AFL-CIO Lawyers Coordinating Committee
- Member, Labor & Employment Relations Association (LERA) of Western New York
- Member, AFL-CIO WNY ALF Judicial Endorsement Review Panel
- Member, Bar Association of Erie County
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- Member, Coalition for Economic Justice
- Member, American Bar Association